Fairfax Media Network

Weather News

Qld Government to approve grazing in national parks

By Melinda Howells, Wednesday May 15, 2013 - 06:20 EST

The Queensland Government has confirmed it will allow grazing in some national parks during droughts or other emergency situations.

Legislation will be rushed through State Parliament next week to allow grazing in five national parks and eight reserves.

Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney says graziers are struggling to cope with drought, and the flow-on effects of the 2011 ban on live exports to Indonesia.

He says grazing would only be allowed for six months to a year.

Mr Seeney says the land was previously used for grazing and any environmentally sensitive areas will be fenced off.

"Hopefully we won't see too many situations like the one we're currently experiencing," he said.

"There's a real animal welfare issue here and we believe it would be irresponsible for us as a Government to allow cattle to die next door to paddocks where there is ample feed."

Greens Senator Larissa Waters says it is a short-term solution to climate change.

"Nothing seems sacred to this State Government," she said.

But rural lobby group AgForce says it is a common-sense move that will give 25,000 cattle access to urgently required feed.


- ABC

© ABC 2013

More breaking news

Sydney Morning Herald
ABC News
National Nine News
News Limited

Display Your Local Weather

Weather News

Skyrocketing beanies caused by winter

15:00 EST

We're now past the shortest day of the year and well into winter, so just how wintry is it in southeastern Australia? A weak cold front has just clipped Victoria and southeastern New South Wales, bringing with it frequent showers and fresh winds.

Either humid or calm - tricky month for drying clothes

12:39 EST

So far this winter much of southeastern Australian has either been too humid or too calm for the washing to dry as fast as it would normally at this time of year.

SA Power Networks paid $18.5m in compensation for December blackout

08:39 EST

A new report shows SA Power Networks paid more than $18.5 million to households that lost power in The figure was included in two reports released by the Essential Services Commission of SA (ESCOSA) into the December storm, and the .