Fairfax Media Network

Weather News

Cyclone warning cancelled for WA

Sunday January 30, 2011 - 10:04 EDT

The weather bureau in Western Australia has cancelled a cyclone warning associated with Tropical Cyclone Bianca.

The rapidly weakening Bianca is expected to be below cyclone intensity when it reaches the state's south-west coast later today.

Cyclone Warning Centre spokesman Joe Courtney says communities south of Bunbury are already experiencing heavy rain.

"Bianca is still tracking towards the coast but it is weakening and expected to weaken further during the day, so we don't expect it to cross the coast as a cyclone," he said.

Forecaster Matt Boterhoven says people should expect fresh to strong winds and a possible thunderstorm.

"Along the coast today with the approach of Bianca we'll see some higher than normal tides and flooding of low-lying coastal areas may result, particularly around Geographe Bay," he said.

"Swells may lead to dangerous surf conditions and as tides rise coastal erosion is possible, so be careful near the coast today."

Meanwhile, communities in the state's Wheatbelt have started assessing the damage caused by severe thunderstorms.

The storms, which were not related to Bianca, passed through a number of towns, including York, Northam and Toodyay yesterday afternoon.

Wind gusts of more than 100 kilometres-an-hour ripped roofs from houses and downed trees and powerlines.

- ABC

© ABC 2010

More breaking news

Sydney Morning Herald
ABC News
National Nine News
News Limited

Display Your Local Weather

Weather News

Skyrocketing beanies caused by winter

15:00 EST

We're now past the shortest day of the year and well into winter, so just how wintry is it in southeastern Australia? A weak cold front has just clipped Victoria and southeastern New South Wales, bringing with it frequent showers and fresh winds.

Either humid or calm - tricky month for drying clothes

12:39 EST

So far this winter much of southeastern Australian has either been too humid or too calm for the washing to dry as fast as it would normally at this time of year.

SA Power Networks paid $18.5m in compensation for December blackout

08:39 EST

A new report shows SA Power Networks paid more than $18.5 million to households that lost power in The figure was included in two reports released by the Essential Services Commission of SA (ESCOSA) into the December storm, and the .