Yasi restoration work targets Mission BeachTuesday June 12, 2012 - 13:08 EST
The Cassowary Coast Regional Council says Mission Beach will be the next focus of cyclone restoration work, including the removal of dead trees.
The council has received almost $500,000 in disaster relief funding for the project and has already begun work at Tully Heads and Hull Heads.
Mayor Bill Shannon says while contractors are doing some of the work, the voluntary contribution of residents has been a huge help.
"It was very difficult because we've had trouble getting money to do that work and some has come through such that we can get about eight kilometres of beachfront, mainly where there's population, where there's houses, where there's restaurants and those sorts of things, where there's development but all the natural areas, which are 200 kilometres of beach line or more, won't have any work done on them," he said.
He says he is hoping there will soon be permanent toilet facilities installed on Dunk Island.
There has been limited public access to the island since Cyclone Yasi destroyed most of its infrastructure in February last year.
The council secured disaster relief funding in March to reconstruct amenities on the island.
Councillor Shannon says he will be updating residents at today's Mission Beach Community Association meeting about the progress of rebuilding work.
"We've called for expressions of interest for people to do the work," he said.
"That's the trouble with a lot of this cyclone work, it can't be done by council itself because we're not entitled to get reimbursement for the money we spend.
"It can only be done by contractors, so you've got to get the specifications out, you've got to put the contracts out for tender, then you've got to assess the tenders and call for the work, so that's one of the reasons things take a long while."
© ABC 2012
More breaking news
"I wouldn't say the drought is over ...