Work underway on Carnarvon flood leveesWednesday November 28, 2012 - 15:34 EDT
Works have begun on four major levees to protect Carnarvon and surrounding areas from the threat of flooding.
In December 2010, homes, businesses and crops were severely impacted by devastating floodwaters.
The $60 million project will see barriers built at Nickol Bay, Lawson Street, South River Road and McGlades Road.
The Minister for Water, Bill Marmion, says the levees are designed to hold back a flood of a one-in-100-year magnitude.
He acknowledges there has been delays along the way but says the levees should be completed before next year's cyclone season.
"I guess like any project, there's priorities and I think it's probably fair to say that the devastation that happened in December 2010 and in the follow-up floods highlighted the importance of having some mitigation works in place to protect the important food bowl of Carnarvon," he said.
North-West MP Vince Catania says it is a bit of gamble the levees will not be ready for this year's season but the nearly completed Six Mile barrier should hold back floodwater.
He hopes the levees will ensure the December 2010 floods will never be repeated.
"We won't have that same scenario happen again to Carnarvon. Not only to the horticultural district but also to those residents who are also affected in town and not close the roads that also lead to the Pilbara," he said.
© ABC 2012
More breaking news
As residents in New South Wales emerge from under the rug after their , the question on the blue lips of many is what's the best way to stay warm? While many may feel their insides are rapidly chilling, Dr Ollie Jay from the University of Sydney said little was happening to our bodies internally and the cold was all due to "perception".
So far this winter Western Australia has been divided, unseasonably cold in the south and hot in the north.
A national disaster volunteer group wants to expand its services to assist landholders with their pest management.