Fairfax Media Network

Weather News

Wintry blast closing in on AFL Grand Final

Press Release, Thursday September 27, 2012 - 06:18 EST
Weatherzone Press Release
Weatherzone logo

Press Release

Wintry blast closing in on AFL Grand Final

27/09/2012: Don't be fooled by Melbourne's summer-like warmth, it won't last long, a wintry blast is due to arrive in time for the AFL Grand Final, according to weatherzone.com.au.

After getting as warm as 27 degrees on Thursday afternoon it will feel as much as 15 degrees colder only 48 hours later, during the Grand Final.

"The 2012 Grand Final is shaping up to be similar to 2009, when Geelong beat St Kilda. For much of the game the temperature will be about 12 degrees and the breeze strong enough to make it feel less than 10 degrees at times. Brief showers are likely and hail is possible, which would cool it another couple of degrees. Having said that, it is unlikely to be the coldest Grand Final in the last decade," Weatherzone meteorologist Brett Dutschke said.

"The biggest single weather influence on the game will be the wind. Westerlies blowing at 30-to-40 km/h will penetrate even the tightest-knit jumpers and scarves and also blow some kicks off target. It's about a one-goal breeze to the eastern end of the MCG, but that advantage will lessen later in the game as wind gradually eases. This could make winning the toss important," Dutschke said.

This forecast may not sound so good for footy but the experts say it won't be too bad, the heaviest and most frequent showers are expected to be south and east of the MCG.

"It's possible the MCG will escape the showers altogether. Showers are a 70% chance at about midday for the carpark barby, a 60% chance in the first quarter, dropping to a 40% chance by the last quarter. Any showers will be so brief that 80-90% of the game will be dry. I can't imagine it being muddy or very slippery at all," Dutschke said

"Sunshine should get a mention too because there will be enough of it to cause sunburn, especially if you're in the Southern Stand. Yes, even in 12 degrees you can get a sunburn at this time of year."

There's not much chance of sunburn at Friday's parade of Hawthorn and Sydney players and coaches.

"Cloudy for much of the day with some rain. About a 70% chance of rain in the city at lunchtime. A bit blustery but not too cold, 17 or 18 degrees when Hawthorn and Sydney Swans get chauffeured up Collins Street to the Treasury Building," Dutschke said.



(Rain on Friday and leading up to the game will amount to 10-to-15mm. Any showers during the game would amount to less the two millimetres).

Cold Grand Finals in the last decade:
2011 - Geelong v Collingwood, 14.0 degree maximum
2009 - Geelong v St Kilda, 14.2 degrees
2003 - Brisbane v Collingwood, 13.7 degrees
2002 - Brisbane v Collingwood, 11.9 degrees

Media Inquiries:

Brett Dutschke
media@weatherzone.com.au
02 9965 9269

About Weatherzone:

Weatherzone is Australia's most popular commercial meteorological resource, supplying weather information to most of Australia's major television broadcasters and websites. www.weatherzone.com.au has been developed by a team of world class meteorologists and features user friendly, up-to-the minute access to weather across the country.


If you wish to opt out from future messages, send a reply email with the subject UNSUBSCRIBE, or click here.

More breaking news

Sydney Morning Herald
ABC News
National Nine News
News Limited

Display Your Local Weather

Weather News

Darwin's dry season soaking

12:53 EST

Darwin received its heaviest rain in six months as a rare September shower passed over the city in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

Late-season chill grips southeastern Australia

09:24 EST

It feels like spring hasn't started in parts of southeastern Australia, with some places registering their lowest September temperatures in years during the last couple of mornings.

Supplement feed shortage puts a strain on farmers already struggling with drought

09:09 EST

It's the last thing drought-declared Queensland graziers need, but dry conditions are now affecting the production of a wide range of feed supplements given to animals when grass and hay run low.