Wild weather leaves thousands without power in South AustraliaTuesday October 1, 2013 - 13:23 EST
Thousands of properties across South Australia lost electricity supplies as high winds swept the state.
Among the areas worst affected were the mid-north, Barossa Valley, Riverland and Adelaide Hills.
Extra repair crews were brought in to help restore power supplies, but some are not expected back until Tuesday afternoon at best.
Paul Roberts, of SA Power Networks, said the strong winds hampered repair efforts, leaving some customers without their supply for an extended time.
The State Emergency Service (SES) said that, until about midnight, it responded to about 400 calls across the state, but demand had eased in the early hours of this morning.
John Carr of the SES said the morning might again become busy.
"When people wake up this morning and look out and see that perhaps a tree has fallen and damaged their fences or sheds or something, we'll start to get a few more calls in the next hour or so and we'll respond accordingly," he said.
The Metropolitan Fire Service tackled a grass fire on Monday afternoon on the outskirts of Port Augusta, on vacant land between Tassie and Rogers Streets.
Crews kept watch for several hours to ensure there was no flare-up of hotspots.
Strong winds caused wide damage across the Riverland and Murraylands, with wind gusts of up to 106 kilometres per hour recorded at Renmark Airport.
The stormy weather of the past day has had an upside for some farmers.
Grain growers around Quorn said it had been dry for the past couple of months, but grower Ben Carn said storms delivered about 20 millimetres of rain and would help turn the season around.
"Yesterday morning when they were forecasting hot weather and the winds started coming from the north we expected the crops to probably turn white by night, which they had done in the past," he said.
"There was dust in the north but we sort of didn't get any of that and then it started to rain until at least 11 o'clock last night so we just couldn't believe it."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
One year anniversary of destructive Brisbane hail storm; residents reminded to prepare for storm season
It is a year today since Brisbane was smashed by the worst hail storm in 30 years, one that left a trail of destruction and a damage bill of more than $1.3 billion.
Drought affected farmers and businesses in the Walgett Shire are getting a reprieve, with the Council agreeing to waive the interest on overdue rates.
Australia lived up to it's reputation yesterday, with a vast contrast in conditions across the states.