Waiving of LLS rates for farmers halvedBy Kerrin Thomas, Monday June 16, 2014 - 15:49 EST
The Chairman of Local Land Services says his organisation had no say in reducing the period for which LLS rates would be waived for drought affected farmers.
In February, farmers in around 20 Local Government Areas in the north and west of the state were declared as 'in drought' and told their Local Land Services rates would be waived for 12 months.
John Macarthur-Stanham says Local Land Services wasn't consulted before that was halved to six months.
He acknowledges some farmers may still be expecting the full waiver when they receive their rate notice this week.
"They will have had expectations I guess based on media releases," he said.
"The last release relevant to this was actually made by Local Land Services, and that was at the beginning of June, and it made very clear that the rate rebate farmers would be getting was for the six month period.
"That equates to 50 percent of the rate notice so if farmers had been aware of that last media release, they would be understanding of the payments coming."
He says tens of millions of dollars has been made available to drought affected farmers.
"You've got to come back to the whole package that the Government is now offering to drought affected farmers, which is now $30 million, so it's a substantial amount of money," Mr Macarthur-Stanham said.
"That's an impost on Treasury and the NSW taxpayers, so I think people have also got to look at the glass as being half full, rather than being on the half empty side."
Mr Macarthur-Stanham says the role of LLS is to provide advice to the state government on drought conditions, and lobbying for drought assistance would tarnish that advice.
"It's important that it doesn't become a lobbyist in that area, as LLS's role in drought or seasonal reporting is to provide unbiased, independent, reliable advice," he said.
"That's what we do, [and] if LLS starts to get involved in lobbying government for support, the advice we provide is grey at best."
© ABC 2014
More breaking news
It has been already a big month of weather across southern and eastern Australia, although the worst is yet to come for some areas.
New South Wales Premier Mike Baird has toured the flood-hit town of Forbes, in the state's central west, where he has thanked State Emergency Service (SES) volunteers for their efforts.
Thieves cut a chain and stole a two-metre steel tub weighing 70 kilograms from the Noarlunga SES just hours after Adelaide's recent flooding, it has been revealed.