Fairfax Media Network

Weather News

Uncertainty over extent of Lakes Creek Rd flood protection

Friday July 4, 2014 - 14:39 EST

Rockhampton's Mayor says she is not sure how much of the Lakes Creek Road area will be protected by a flood mitigation program on the city's northside.

This year's budget contains about $100,000 for the first stage of a $500,000 long-term project to install flood valves to close off stormwater drains, turning the rail line into a virtual flood levee.

Margaret Strelow says it will take up to five years to finish the work but she is unsure how far they will be able to extend.

"There's a point at which it will become more expensive and it may not be possible to go the whole length down but the sorts of streets that we're used to flooding and [have] seen consistent flooding, Nobbs Street and Berserker Street, those are the streets that will see the benefit," she said.

"We're scheduling probably four or five years but the beauty of this is that every valve has a positive impact, so even if we've only got two done by the time the next flood comes, there will be some properties that will get a benefit.

"It's a little bitty difference I guess for the South Rocky flood levee which is, you can't build half a one of those and get any benefit."


- ABC

© ABC 2014

More breaking news

Sydney Morning Herald
ABC News
National Nine News
News Limited

Display Your Local Weather

Weather News

Skyrocketing beanies caused by winter

15:00 EST

We're now past the shortest day of the year and well into winter, so just how wintry is it in southeastern Australia? A weak cold front has just clipped Victoria and southeastern New South Wales, bringing with it frequent showers and fresh winds.

Either humid or calm - tricky month for drying clothes

12:39 EST

So far this winter much of southeastern Australian has either been too humid or too calm for the washing to dry as fast as it would normally at this time of year.

SA Power Networks paid $18.5m in compensation for December blackout

08:39 EST

A new report shows SA Power Networks paid more than $18.5 million to households that lost power in The figure was included in two reports released by the Essential Services Commission of SA (ESCOSA) into the December storm, and the .