Fairfax Media Network

Weather News

Traders expected to seek phone outage compo

By Natalie Poyhonen, Wednesday January 30, 2013 - 14:22 EDT

North Queensland businesses estimate the cost of the weekend's Telstra outage to run in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Many regional phone and internet services were lost for almost 24 hours after flooding washed out a coastal cable and a landslide damaged an inland back-up link.

In Charters Towers, the outage coincided with the town's main tourist drawcard, the annual Goldfield Ashes cricket tournament.

Charters Towers Chamber of Commerce president Tom Hogg says local businesses rely heavily rely on the weekend's takings.

"I know talking to some of the hotels here, between just four hotels alone, they've told me they've lost nearly $100,000 in trading," he said.

"Bottle shop takings are down there.

"Some of their takings are worse than a normal weekend and generally, as I said, this is the biggest take for a lot of businesses for the entire year.

"Businesses will be looking for compensation yes and rightfully so.

"If a service is supposed to be provided and if that service hasn't been provided because redundant systems and back-up hasn't been allowed for, then I believe a lot of these businesses should be entitled to some sort of compensation."


- ABC

© ABC 2013

More breaking news

Sydney Morning Herald
ABC News
National Nine News
News Limited

Display Your Local Weather

Weather News

Southern states brace for wild weekend

12:53 EST

Unseasonably warm weather and damaging winds will sweep across Australia's southern states during the next three days ahead one of the strongest cold fronts so far this year.

Storm batters south-west WA as strong winds down trees, damage homes

10:33 EST

A severe cold front over the southern half of Western Australia has uprooted trees and brought down power lines, causing minor property damage — and more severe weather is on the way.

Horror bushfire season forecast for NSW with early start predicted, RFS says

09:57 EST

New South Wales could be heading for a horror bushfire season with the first fire expected in a matter of weeks, according to the Rural Fire Service.