Track damage stops Monto racesBy Frances Adcock, Thursday April 11, 2013 - 10:46 EST
This weekend's annual race day at Monto in Queensland's North Burnett has been cancelled due to extensive track damage.
The three recent floods destroyed most of the Monto track and repairs have not been done in time.
Race secretary Kerry Williams says it is disappointing as the races provide a major boost to the local economy.
However, she says a working bee will be held this weekend instead to start on repairs in time for next year's event.
"We are planning our first working bee this weekend on Friday and Saturday to get the running rails going and the track will start to get rebuilt and we just hope everything will be spick-and-span in the next couple of weeks," she said.
"[We're] looking forward to the next racing season."
She says the damage bill is estimated to reach $12,000.
"We experienced that major flood in January, like everyone else in the district, followed by a month later we had a second and third flood which destroyed the work that we had tried to [do to] rebuild our track and it took running rails and just made it impossible to rebuild and be ready to race again," she said.
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
The damage caused by last week's flood is becoming clearer across the Shoalhaven, as the clean up continues.
Yesterday, much of South Australia was being battered by a low pressure system, sending gusty showers onshore.
A band of thunderstorms swept across NSW and QLD late last night and into this morning, bringing a thundery alarm.