Fairfax Media Network

Weather News

Town turns to words to simplify flood warnings

By Phoebe Stewart, Wednesday October 17, 2012 - 10:41 EDT
ABC image
Lessons learned: Roads and parts of the town were submerged during the Katherine floods of 2006. - ABC

The Northern Territory town of Katherine is launching a new flood warning system in preparation for the wet season.

The Katherine Counter Disaster Committee's Commander Michael White says the update is needed because the system has changed from a numerical one to a classification of minor, moderate and major flooding.

He says the town's flood warning sirens no longer operate because the committee believes social media and online information are a better way to keep people informed.

The town has been flooded five times in the past 100 years, and Commander White says it could go under again.

"(It's) likely any year that we'll have a big flow of the river," he said.

"One of the feedbacks we got from previous incidents and flood alerts was that there was a bit of confusion within the community about what they meant.

"Using more appropriate language gives people a better understanding of what sort of levels we are expecting in Katherine."

A brochure is being prepared to advise residents of the changes.


- Audience submitted

© Audience submitted 2012

More breaking news

Sydney Morning Herald
ABC News
National Nine News
News Limited

Display Your Local Weather

Weather News

Skyrocketing beanies caused by winter

15:00 EST

We're now past the shortest day of the year and well into winter, so just how wintry is it in southeastern Australia? A weak cold front has just clipped Victoria and southeastern New South Wales, bringing with it frequent showers and fresh winds.

Either humid or calm - tricky month for drying clothes

12:39 EST

So far this winter much of southeastern Australian has either been too humid or too calm for the washing to dry as fast as it would normally at this time of year.

SA Power Networks paid $18.5m in compensation for December blackout

08:39 EST

A new report shows SA Power Networks paid more than $18.5 million to households that lost power in The figure was included in two reports released by the Essential Services Commission of SA (ESCOSA) into the December storm, and the .