Town considers restrictions after rain dries upThursday January 10, 2013 - 14:04 EDT
A town in Queensland's southern inland could face increased water restrictions less than a year after it flooded.
St George was evacuated last February as the Balonne River reached record heights for the third year in a row.
The Balonne Shire Mayor Donna Stewart says the town has had little rain this summer.
"Andrew Nixon Weir is looking rather grim at the moment - the islands are all exposed out the middle and you can see the stumps in the middle of the river," Councillor Stewart said,
"It's incredible to think that it was in full flood this time last year and now I believe that the capacity of Beardmore Dam is just above 30 per cent."
Councillor Stewart says the current hot weather is driving up water usage and council may have to introduce level two restrictions.
"We've had a very dry period with virtually no rain in the town of St George so if this continues we most certainly will be having to go to level two restrictions in late February or early March," she said.
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
South-east Queensland schools have been closed for today, with kindergartens and childcare centres also asking parents to collect children early.
Emergency services says 40 people who were stranded on the roofs of their flooded houses in the north Queensland city of Mackay are now safe and well.
Dark skies have closed in on Brisbane and the remnants of ex-Tropical Cyclone Debbie are being felt along the south-east coast.