Tender looms for Kerang flood leveeThursday November 8, 2012 - 09:23 EDT
The Gannawarra Shire says the tender process to build a permanent flood levee around Kerang is almost ready to start.
Kerang was badly hit during the floods early last year but temporary levees managed to save the town from total inundation.
The Victorian Government has confirmed funding for the next stage of the levee works.
Mayor Neville Goulding says the shire's priority is to secure and improve levees to protect northern Victorian communities from future flooding.
"We're down the track, a fair way down the track of the planning of that levee but still some work to be done and so that will continue," he said.
"Once we've got that organised that tender can be let as well."
An announcement about flood mapping at Dunolly is expected today.
Meanwhile, a support service for flood-affected people in Rochester will continue to run until next year.
The State Government is putting another $36,000 into the program to offer 15 families practical and psychosocial support.
The Nationals' Member for Rodney, Paul Weller, says the service was due to finish this month but now it will continue until May.
"We're hopeful that as the Rochester and Elmore District Health Service has said, that by May next year hopefully the 15 remaining families have worked through the issues that they have and hopefully after that there won't be a need for a counselling support program post May next year," he said.
© ABC 2012
More breaking news
A hundred homes have been inundated with water and people have been evacuated from Forbes in central-western NSW, as floodwaters cut off roads and cause widespread damage to crops.
An evacuation order has been issued for residents of Forbes in central-western New South Wales, but the State Emergency Service (SES) is concerned some people are choosing to leave their homes late.
Residents of Forbes have been packing up and leaving their homes, in what for some is an eerily familiar situation.