Teens home after stormwater accidentFriday October 26, 2012 - 17:13 EDT
Three teenage girls who nearly drowned in a Canberra stormwater drain two weeks ago have all now been released from hospital.
The girls aged between 13 and 14 were trying to cross a flooded drain in Gungahlin when they were swept downstream into the Yerrabi Pond.
One girl managed to escape and alert emergency services, while an off-duty firefighter dragged the other two girls to shore.
Two of the girls were released from hospital shortly afterwards.
One needed CPR at the scene and was transferred in a serious condition to the Sydney Children's Hospital.
She remained in a coma for a period of that time but the hospital says she has now been allowed to go home.
The State Emergency Service (SES) has again warned Canberrans to be careful around stormwater drains, saying the near drowning was not an isolated incident.
On the same day police and the SES received reports of young boys rafting in drains.
SES Chief Officer Tony Graham says their message is simple.
"It's just not on," she said.
"You're just putting your own lives at risk and you're putting the lives of those who might be trying to save you at risk."
Police have urged the public to contact them if they see anyone playing in flood waters.
© ABC 2012
More breaking news
Bedgerabong in the central west of New South Wales has been isolated by flood waters.
Farmers across Western Australia's grain growing regions have been dealt a bitter blow, with their hopes of record crops dashed by frost just weeks before harvest.
Wet weather "on par" with a system that caused widespread flooding across Adelaide earlier this month has been forecast to hit the Mount Lofty Ranges on Wednesday and Thursday.