Subsidies sought to lift flood-prone Bundaberg homesBy Alyse Edwards, Monday March 4, 2013 - 11:18 EDT
The Bundaberg Regional Council will introduce a minimum height legislation for homes built in flood-prone areas in the southern Queensland city.
Mayor Mal Forman says the council is considering subsidising the scheme for about 2,000 properties that were affected in January's floods.
However, he says without more funding from the state and federal governments, residents will have to pay for it themselves.
"If we can't get the subsidy they'll have to pay the lot, but if we can get a subsidy scheme in we will put a portion towards the cost for them to do that," he said.
"That's how it would work - we'd have to work through the whole circumstance but I believe what we could offer them would be something that would make people think, 'yes, that's worthwhile them doing it'."
He says the scheme would be voluntary.
"Over 2,000 properties with waters over their floorboards but how many would take up the offer of raising their homes is up to each person voluntarily or individually," he said.
"However, the best guesstimates that we've been told so far, it could cost in the vicinity of $40,000 on average, per home, to raise their home."
The council will discuss what the minimum height should be at a meeting today.
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Two men stranded for nearly 24 hours with their sports car in deep snow at Mount Field, about 75 kilometres north-west of Hobart, have been rescued.
Rare snowfalls have blanketed the most unlikely parts of Tasmania, with farmers along the north-west coast waking up to white paddocks.
A former employee at the Grantham quarry has told the Queensland Floods Commission of Inquiry that quarry waste was not used to build embankment walls around the site.