Shire gets more time for flood recovery effortsFriday June 28, 2013 - 11:22 EST
The Northern Grampians Shire says it is relieved to have been given a last-minute extension to use Commonwealth flood recovery funding.
The shire previously had until Sunday to complete more than $3 million worth of projects in the wake of the 2011 floods.
However, the council's chief executive, Justine Linley, says it was advised on Wednesday that it and other councils around Victoria had been granted a one-year extension.
She says it now has more than enough time to finish the projects.
"It's an incredible relief," she said.
"One of the difficulties we had was we always knew that we had a $30 million recovery program that we needed to implement, having two years to do that was always going to be a push and it was one of the reasons we submitted back in August last year an application for an extension of the time required to undertake these works."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
A hundred homes have been inundated with water and people have been evacuated from Forbes in central-western NSW, as floodwaters cut off roads and cause widespread damage to crops.
An evacuation order has been issued for residents of Forbes in central-western New South Wales, but the State Emergency Service (SES) is concerned some people are choosing to leave their homes late.
Residents of Forbes have been packing up and leaving their homes, in what for some is an eerily familiar situation.