Seqwater backs dam engineers after report releaseBy Kim Lyell, Wednesday September 26, 2012 - 12:21 EST
The operator of south-east Queensland's dams, Seqwater, has backed its engineers amid further scrutiny of the handling of last year's flood crisis.
In its first response since the Flood Commission of Inquiry report was handed down in March, Seqwater says it stands behind its engineers and the actions they took during the 2011 disaster.
In a statement, Seqwater chief executive Peter Borrows says the authority's engineers did an "extraordinary job in the most difficult and demanding circumstances".
He also says in the statement "Wivenhoe and Somerset dams were managed appropriately during the flood".
The response comes two days after the United States Bureau of Reclamation and US Army Corps of Engineers recommended reviews of communications at the authority and the way rainfall information is collected.
Seqwater says it is confident that its position will be justified if the matter ever comes before a court.
© ABC 2012
More breaking news
Southwestern parts of Western Australia have had rain of up to 24mm of rain this morning as another cold front swept over the region.
Farmers near Forbes in the New South Wales central west are bracing for extensive loses as their crops continue to be inundated with flood waters, which are expected to peak later today.
At least 100 homes have been inundated with water and people have been evacuated from Forbes in central-western NSW, as floodwaters cut off roads and cause widespread damage to crops.