Safety stressed amid Gold Coast storm clean-upThursday January 31, 2013 - 10:43 EDT
Residents are being urged to ensure their properties are safe as the clean-up continues after ex-tropical cyclone Oswald.
Crews are working to clear and repair damaged roads and restore local beaches.
The council's disaster management coordinator, Peter McNamee, says falling trees could still be a problem.
"The ground's pretty wet after all of the rain, so it's pretty important if people are concerned about trees they think might be dangerous they should be contacting their arborists and tree loppers and people around the city to come and assess those things and just to make sure that there is no danger," he said.
"So [it's] really important that people are looking at their own property while council and State Government departments are looking at the public property."
Mr McNamee says there is still a big job ahead.
"We've got council crews out and about as well as Main Roads' crews out and about looking at trying to get the roads opened as quickly as possible where some of those have been damaged," he said.
"So there's a lot of activity happening but the good news is that crews are out and about and I know people will be patient while those things get recovered."
The council will conduct a one-off kerbside collection of green waste from Monday and some local public swimming pools will allow residents without power and water to shower at their facilities.
Anyone still struggling after the recent wild weather is being urged to visit a community recovery centre at Broadbeach.
The Albert Waterways Community Centre opens at 10:00am (AEST) today.
Residents will be able to speak to staff from the Department of Communities and get help with their applications for disaster relief payments.
Meanwhile, more than 400 crews are working to restore power across south-east Queensland.
Energex says just under 3,000 homes and businesses in the Gold Coast City Council area are still without electricity.
Earlier this morning, the figure was roughly the same for the Scenic Rim Council area.
Spokeswoman Liz Moynihan says there are a number of priority areas.
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Winds sweeping South Australia have plunged thousands of residents into darkness again for another night only a day after the entire state suffered a blackout.
South Australia has been lashed with severe weather for the second night in a row, with strong winds battering much of the state.
Below-freezing temperatures throughout September have affected large numbers of farmers in the Wheatbelt, South West and Great Southern regions, taking the edge out of what was shaping up as a bumper harvest.