SA farmers lose out from drought relief delayWendy Collis, Thursday December 5, 2013 - 10:53 EDT
A rural financial counsellor says delays in finalising the Commonwealth's Farm Finance scheme in South Australia have cost farmers millions.
South Australia, Western Australia and the Northern Territory have finally signed up to the scheme, weeks after the eastern mainland states.
Rural Business Support manager Kaye Matthias says the state and federal governments should have agreed to the scheme earlier in the year, not yesterday.
"Well, it is a shame that it hadn't been settled earlier, and I know there were some protracted negotiations between the Commonwealth and the State Government.
"But yes, if it had been signed off we wouldn't have been faced with that situation of losing $10 million, so it is unfortunate from that perspective."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
One year anniversary of destructive Brisbane hail storm; residents reminded to prepare for storm season
It is a year today since Brisbane was smashed by the worst hail storm in 30 years, one that left a trail of destruction and a damage bill of more than $1.3 billion.
Drought affected farmers and businesses in the Walgett Shire are getting a reprieve, with the Council agreeing to waive the interest on overdue rates.
Australia lived up to it's reputation yesterday, with a vast contrast in conditions across the states.