Fairfax Media Network

Weather News

Roof of Sydney apartment block goes up in flames

Thursday October 10, 2013 - 19:48 EDT
Audience submitted image
All residents of the building on Cook Road evacuated without any injuries. - Audience submitted

Residents of a Sydney apartment block have been evacuated after a fire on the roof of the building.

Large flames could be seen on top of the five-story block on Cook Road in Centennial Park when the blaze broke out this afternoon.

Fire crews have the fire under control and contained to the rooftop decking area, but there is no word yet on what caused it.

Superintendent Ian Krimmer from Fire and Rescue NSW says no-one was injured in the blaze.

"It's got 57 residential units. The good news is that all those residential units have been evacuated safely," he said.

"There was one person trapped in a stairwell due to smoke. He was helped down by firefighters and brought down to safety without any injury."

The city sweltered today but the temperature peaked at 37.8 degrees Celsius at Sydney Airport, short of the 39C the weather bureau had predicted.

with extreme fire danger warnings issued for Greater Sydney, the Greater Hunter and Illawarra regions.

Total fire bans are in place for 15 districts around the state.


- ABC

© ABC 2013

More breaking news

Sydney Morning Herald
ABC News
National Nine News
News Limited

Display Your Local Weather

Weather News

Skyrocketing beanies caused by winter

15:00 EST

We're now past the shortest day of the year and well into winter, so just how wintry is it in southeastern Australia? A weak cold front has just clipped Victoria and southeastern New South Wales, bringing with it frequent showers and fresh winds.

Either humid or calm - tricky month for drying clothes

12:39 EST

So far this winter much of southeastern Australian has either been too humid or too calm for the washing to dry as fast as it would normally at this time of year.

SA Power Networks paid $18.5m in compensation for December blackout

08:39 EST

A new report shows SA Power Networks paid more than $18.5 million to households that lost power in The figure was included in two reports released by the Essential Services Commission of SA (ESCOSA) into the December storm, and the .