Rockhampton flood impact revised downBy Paul Robinson and Francis Tapim, Friday February 1, 2013 - 06:34 EDT
The Bruce Highway is still open, despite floodwaters continuing to rise in Rockhampton in central Queensland.
The Fitzroy River is expected to peak at 8.5 metres on Saturday and stay high for 24 to 36 hours.
The city was cut off for two weeks in 2011, when the Fitzroy reached 9.2 metres.
Floodwaters are inundating several backyards in low-lying suburbs and a number of roads close to Rockhampton's CBD are cut.
However, the Bruce Highway is still clear at Yeppen Crossing on Rockhampton's southern outskirts but water is creeping closer.
Authorities initially predicted 1,100 homes would be affected.
Rockhampton City Council later revised down the number of homes it expects to be flooded.
Mayor Margaret Strelow says the number has been revised down to about 650.
"Hats off to our local community who know how to prepare," she said.
"Whilst it is inconvenient, it isn't going to be the big drama that we see in the southern floods.
"We do have a system the flash floods that we had through here probably a week ago caused us more drama than this flood coming will.
"We are thinking about 650 properties, we will have 50 centimetres of water under the house or more and I had one resident who took me under the house showed me it was all up, clean as a whistle and the washing machine was doing its last load before she had it disconnected and got her son to help her lift it up."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Bedgerabong in the central west of New South Wales has been isolated by flood waters.
Farmers across Western Australia's grain growing regions have been dealt a bitter blow, with their hopes of record crops dashed by frost just weeks before harvest.
Wet weather "on par" with a system that caused widespread flooding across Adelaide earlier this month has been forecast to hit the Mount Lofty Ranges on Wednesday and Thursday.