Fairfax Media Network

Weather News

Review backs dam operators' actions during Qld floods

By Eric Tlozek, Tuesday September 25, 2012 - 07:34 EST

An independent review released yesterday has found the operator of Brisbane's two dams acted reasonably during last year's damaging floods.

The US Bureau of Reclamation and the US Army Corps of Engineers evaluated Seqwater's report into the 2011 floods.

The review praised the company's report for its detail, but it recommended further reviews of communications and of the way rainfall and weather information is collected.

The review also recommended Seqwater update its risk assessments for Somerset and Wivenhoe dams, north-west of Brisbane.

It says dam failure could be more deadly than predicted.

Meanwhile, the lawyer representing Brisbane flood victims says the review will not affect legal action being taken in the courts.

Lawyer Rod Hodgson, from Maurice Blackburn, says the class action by flood victims will rely on other evidence.

"The findings of the [Queensland Floods] Commission of Inquiry that the dam was not operated in accordance with proper procedure is correct," he said.

"we're also confident that the poor operation of the dam made a significant difference to flood levels downstream of Wivenhoe."


- ABC

© ABC 2012

More breaking news

Sydney Morning Herald
ABC News
National Nine News
News Limited

Display Your Local Weather

Weather News

Skyrocketing beanies caused by winter

15:00 EST

We're now past the shortest day of the year and well into winter, so just how wintry is it in southeastern Australia? A weak cold front has just clipped Victoria and southeastern New South Wales, bringing with it frequent showers and fresh winds.

Either humid or calm - tricky month for drying clothes

12:39 EST

So far this winter much of southeastern Australian has either been too humid or too calm for the washing to dry as fast as it would normally at this time of year.

SA Power Networks paid $18.5m in compensation for December blackout

08:39 EST

A new report shows SA Power Networks paid more than $18.5 million to households that lost power in The figure was included in two reports released by the Essential Services Commission of SA (ESCOSA) into the December storm, and the .