Residents' pain remains as Mitchell flood rebuilding continuesBy Fidelis Rego, Wednesday January 2, 2013 - 13:22 EDT
A community group on Queensland's southern inland says people are still 'shell-shocked' nearly a year after Mitchell's worst flood on record.
Eighty per cent of the town, north-west of Toowoomba, was inundated when the Maranoa River rose to record levels in February.
Nicole Harper from the Booringa Action Group says reconstruction work is continuing but mental and physical scare still remain.
"This had never happened before in Mitchell," she said.
"Not only was it a devastating thing to happen full-stop, but to never have been involved in anything like this before and not be prepared for it, I guess people are still very shell-shocked I think."
Ms Harper says many people are still not back in their homes.
"The odd bit of damage around - still some holes in the road," she said.
"I guess the major thing at the moment is the bridge, which is just starting to being replaced.
"There is still the odd reminder which makes it harder for everyone to move forward, so hopefully when it's tidied up we can put it behind us a bit more."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Trampolines have flown into powerlines and a lightning strike has reportedly caused a house fire as a severe thunderstorm tracked from Sydney all along the coast up to northern NSW on Monday afternoon.
Those who blamed last week's blackout in South Australia on renewable energy are dead wrong.
Thunderstorms are affecting six states and territories this afternoon, four of which are under warning for severe storms.