Residents get extra flood preparation timeMonday March 18, 2013 - 11:48 EDT
Strathbogie Shire residents will have more time to prepare for devastating floods, after the completion of 14 flood gauges along the Castle and Seven creeks.
A total of $260,000 in Victorian Government funding will be used to help pay for the gauges, after damaging floods that swept through the area in 2010.
In the past, residents only had between two and four hours warning that floods were coming but Strathbogie Mayor Deborah Swan says the new equipment will increase the warning time to as much as eight hours.
"It's a great thing for the community," she said.
"It provides them with a little bit of security so they can think about getting things organised in regards to sandbagging and getting the volunteers together to help mitigate any of the issues that might arise."
Councillor Swan says the advance warning will help to protect people and properties from floodwaters and she has thanked the community for helping make it happen.
"We have to put a bit of a big thank you out there to the property owners who are allowing some of this equipment to go onto their land and of course it's always wonderful to show that we can work together with the state, community and council," she said.
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
On July 25, 1986 Hobart woke up to a blanket of snow that brought the city to a near standstill.
Authorities have chosen Thursday to begin the first releases of water since last year from the Menindee Lakes to the parched lower Darling River, in far west New South Wales.
The Sealink ferry between Kangaroo Island and Cape Jervis has been cancelled as rough weather continues to batter South Australia.