Residents flown to homes after major landslipWednesday February 13, 2013 - 11:01 EDT
About 100 people remain isolated by a landslip in far northern New South Wales, with residents are now being taken by helicopter to their properties.
The road leading to the properties in the Byron Bay hinterland was closed to traffic last week after a major landslip.
The recent storms and floods and had made about 100 metres of the road unstable.
Residents have been walking across the remainder of the partly-collapsed road but the council says it is now too unsafe.
The State Emergency Service is flying residents in and out by helicopter.
The council says the area is a disaster zone and is calling on local state and federal MPs to intervene.
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Australia's 2016/17 Tropical Cyclone season officially begins on Tuesday next week.
Researchers at a Cyclone Testing Station in north Queensland have been busy creating smashed avocado, and it is not the type that goes on toast.
Parts of western and southern New South Wales are still underwater, despite rain easing across most of the state in recent weeks.