Relief aired over St George levee nodBy Rhianwen Whitney, Tuesday February 19, 2013 - 09:49 EDT
A mayor says she is relieved her council has approved plans to build a permanent $3.8 million levee to protect parts of St George in southern inland Queensland.
The town has suffered four major floods in as many years and was evacuated last year because of a record flood in the Balonne River.
Balonne Mayor Donna Stewart says she has been worried the town would face another flood disaster before the levee was built.
"When we were watching the flooding of Chinchilla and further up I was absolutely dreading that we would get some heavy rainfall in the upper catchment of the Maranoa and the Bungil and send some more water down," she said.
"It would have been very, very difficult to face people knowing that there was something that we may have done to protect a lot of them that we hadn't been able to achieve.
"There has been study after study done and so we are very confident in our decision after looking at all this flood mapping that the decision that we are making will have least impact on those people."
Work on the levee is expected to start in late April or early May.
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
A tropical low off north Queensland has a high chance of developing into a cyclone and making landfall by early next week, the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) says.
Queensland may see its first tropical cyclone in two years in coming days, although the situation is still hard to call.
It runs one of the most-viewed websites in Australia and broadcasts its weather forecasts and warnings around the country each day.