Qld on alert for week of fire dangerMonday September 23, 2013 - 09:03 EST
Firefighters are on high alert across Queensland in what is shaping up to be one of the worst weeks of the fire season so far.
More than 50 properties near Hervey Bay on the Fraser Coast were under threat on Saturday when two smaller fires combined into a large blaze.
It took 10 crews more than three hours to bring the bushfire under control.
The Queensland Fire and Rescue Service (QFRS) says more than 320 hectares was burnt between Sunshine Acres and Nikenbah over two days.
Crews will continue back burning to minimise the threat of another fire.
A fire weather warning is current for the north west, the Channel Country, central west, Maranoa and Warrego districts.
Forecaster Jonty Hall says there will also be a heightened threat in the state's south east on Wednesday and Thursday with hot, gusty conditions forecast.
"Both days are certainly going to be very high fire danger," Mr Hall said.
"On Thursday we may be sneaking up into the severe range particularly in the western part of the district - that's certainly something to watch out for.
"Out on the Darling Downs it is looking like it's going to be pretty bad over Wednesday and Thursday and further west as well."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Adelaide residents have been warned to go home from work early if they are not performing essential duties as the metropolitan area braces for heavy weather.
Parts of South Australia may be without electricity until the end of the weekend as the power network is repaired and gradually brought back online, ElectraNet has said.
More destructive weather is set to hit parts of South Australia, and authorities warn it could bring the worst winds Adelaide has ever seen.