Qld Govt says flood-prone Gladstone-Monto Rd not its responsibilityBy William Rollo, Friday November 29, 2013 - 12:21 EDT
The State Government says it is not responsible for fixing a vital flood-prone road in central Queensland.
Gladstone-Monto Road is the only practical access to the Boyne Valley.
It is aligned along the banks of Lake Awoonga and was moved there when the Awoonga Dam was raised in 2002.
However, the road was only built to a 'two-year' flood level because it was thought the dam would soon be raised again.
That was later cancelled but the temporary road was never moved, putting about 1,000 people at high risk of isolation every wet season.
The state-owned Gladstone Area Water Board says it is an issue for the Transport Department.
However, Transport Minister Scott Emerson says it is still waiting for the dam to be raised - which was cancelled nine years ago.
Water Minister Mark McArdle was not available for comment but a spokeswoman says it is not its issue either.
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
A western Queensland grazier believes wild dogs have reached epidemic levels in her region.
Sydney-siders were graced with a beautiful sunrise this morning, a hue of orange and pink to start the end of the week.
Adelaide's April 'warmwave' has seen only one day so far this month fail to hit 20 degrees Celsius â?? the first time that has happened in close to a century, the Bureau of Meteorology says.