Projects mooted to reduce Gympie flood impactBy Bruce Atkinson and Lucinda Kent, Tuesday February 3, 2015 - 22:02 EDT
The Gympie council says it has a plan that will reduce the multi-million-dollar bill every time the Bruce Highway is cut in the south-east Queensland city during flooding.
The council has submitted its application for flood resilience funding to the State Government.
Council wants $3.3 million to bypass a flood-prone section of the highway that will allow it to open hours earlier.
Mayor Ron Dyne says it costs a fortune each time the highway is cut.
"My understanding is that with trucks banked up south and north of Gympie that you're probably losing $9 million an hour - the figure that someone was quoting the other day," he said.
"When you consider that we have had 200 trucks either side of Gympie in the last flood that's probably a reasonable estimate."
He says the council also wants $6 million to allow access to Monkland in Gympie's south during floods where more than 200 businesses employ about 1,000 people.
"What occurs is that a lot of businesses in that area are cut off only because of road access I suppose, but they're not inundated with floodwater," he said.
"It's just that people can't access them and this would provide access for workers from the one side of Deep Creek to the other so that they can get into the factories to work."
Meanwhile, flood-affected residents in Gympie South will benefit from a new mobile phone tower.
Hundreds of people experienced coverage issues during the January floods but Telstra says the new tower will provide support in future natural disasters.
Telstra spokesman Kris Carver says some areas will have to wait longer for better reception.
"This particular tower will not help the Kilkivan or Widgee region to any great extent," he said.
"We've had a slight change to the design and where the tower will be exactly positioned so we have to change drawings and a few other things.
"That will just take us a little longer than expected."
© ABC 2015
More breaking news
Prolonged heatwave conditions are helping elevate the bushfire threat in parts of New South Wales this week, after a slow start to the season.
A four-day heatwave that begins on Wednesday will bring the same kind of conditions that saw more than 200 Queenslanders treated for heat stroke and dehydration last week.
A Queensland MP is calling on the major banks to develop offsetting options for farm management deposits to help landholders save in the good times.