Fairfax Media Network

Weather News

Phones still out weeks after flooding

By Alyse Edwards, Wednesday March 6, 2013 - 09:45 EDT

Thousands of Telstra customers are still without service almost six weeks after floods caused outages across Queensland.

Telstra is working to restore service to thousands of Queenslanders who have not had operational landlines since the Australia Day weekend floods.

Southern Queensland general manager Kris Carver says repairs will cost millions of dollars and this week's wet weather has made matters worse.

"We've never had this much rain go through and the amount and to keep coming as it did again over the weekend, even some of our temporary fixes were again washed away," he said.

He says he understands that people are angry.

"I do appreciate the frustration of some people who have been out for a couple of weeks," he said.

Meanwhile, more than 600 homes and businesses across Bundaberg and the Burnett are still without power, after more than a month.


- ABC

© ABC 2013

More breaking news

Sydney Morning Herald
ABC News
National Nine News
News Limited

Display Your Local Weather

Weather News

Sydney weather: Temperatures hit 40C in western Sydney ahead of late cool change

18:43 EDT

Demand for ambulances has risen by 40 per cent across the Sydney metro area today, with temperatures in the western suburbs hitting 40 degrees Celsius.

How hot does it get in Australia?

14:43 EDT

With summer underway in Australia and heatwave conditions affecting a number of states this week, a lot of temperature observations are being compared to historical records.

Burst of summer heat prompts fire ban in Sydney

10:00 EDT

Authorities have issued a total fire ban for Sydney today as the city's residents brace for the warmest day so far this season.