Outage sparks Telstra back-up pledgeBy Sharnie Kim, Thursday January 31, 2013 - 10:23 EDT
Telstra says it is going ahead with plans for another back-up cable to prevent more communications outages in northern and central Queensland.
Many phone and internet services were cut for almost 24 hours from Sunday evening after a coastal cable was washed out by flooding and an inland back-up link was damaged by a landslide.
Telstra's Amanda Albon says it is still unclear when the new route will be up and running.
"From what I understand it's actually been approved and is going ahead," she said.
"It's being tested at the moment and I haven't got a fixed date on when that will actually be in operation.
"I would say that the third route will eliminate - well can't say eliminate can you - it would mitigate as many possible issues in the future as possible."
The federal Member for Kennedy, Bob Katter, says the outage was unacceptable, especially in times of disaster.
"That the Government provides a full and comprehensive explanation as to why for the fifth time, for the fifth time, telecommunications have been found disastrously wanting," he said.
"It's the Government's duty to come in and ensure that whilst you're making your profits you provide a certain essential service component."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
A four-day heatwave that begins on Wednesday will bring the same kind of conditions that saw more than 200 Queenslanders treated for heat stroke and dehydration last week.
The Great Northern Highway has been closed between Fitzroy Crossing and Halls Creek, as rivers rise across northern Western Australia following a week of steady rain.
Total fire bans are in place for parts of South Australia and Victoria today as temperatures soar ahead of an approaching cool change.