Nine dead in US snow stormsMonday February 11, 2013 - 11:08 EDT
The north-east of the United States is digging out from a massive blizzard that killed at least nine people and paralysed the region with high winds and heavy snow.
About 350,000 electricity customers were left without power.
The storm dumped a metre of snow across New England before battering three Canadian provinces.
Most service disruptions were in hard-hit Massachusetts, where governor Deval Patrick said 250,000 people were without power.
As crews worked to clear roads and footpaths, travel conditions in the area slowly began to return to normal.
New York area airports LaGuardia, John F. Kennedy and Newark halted all flights during the height of the storm.
They resumed service on Saturday with some delays.
Boston's Logan International Airport warned travellers it was still experiencing some weather-related delays and cancellations.
President Barack Obama signed an emergency declaration for Connecticut. where 25,000 people remained without power.
A Massachusetts boy aged 11 died when he and his father were warming up in their car and inhaled carbon monoxide after an exhaust pipe had been blocked by snow.
In New York city and other regions, municipal trucks cleared snow into big drifts at the kerbside, burying residents' cars even deeper.
Minor injuries were reported in a 19-car pile-up on Interstate 295 in Falmouth, Maine, caused by poor visibility and slippery road conditions.
As the East Coast slowly breathed a sigh of relief, the National Weather Service warned of a new blizzard taking aim at the US northern plains.
"A blizzard will continue across the north central US, where heavy snow will combine with strong gusty winds to produce dangerous whiteout conditions," it said.
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
South-east Queensland schools have been closed for today, with kindergartens and childcare centres also asking parents to collect children early.
An evacuation warning has been issued by the SES for areas around Murwillumbah and Tweed Heads and 12 flood rescues are underway as floodwaters threaten towns and properties in northern NSW.
After laying waste to the North Queensland Coast, ex-Cyclone Debbie has unleashed a torrent of rain on south-east Queensland, causing flash flooding and putting the region in lockdown.