New disaster plan for WalgettFriday December 21, 2012 - 09:45 EDT
A revised disaster plan is being developed to better prepare the Walgett shire for major bushfires, floods and storms.
A review of the response to emergencies has been carried out following severe flooding which cut off thousands of people at Walgett, Collarenebri and Lightning Ridge earlier this year.
Some changes are being made to take into account new areas which were inundated.
David Monk from the Macquarie State Emergency Service says feedback from various agencies, including the council, will be included in the new plan.
"I don't think that there's been significant changes in the shire that have needed to be implemented in that plan, however there has been some significant flooding that has occurred.
"Obviously we've seen that the water has gone in slightly different areas than traditionally it has, so the plan has been updated to actually reflect those areas of risk."
Mr Monk says it is important that the disaster plan is as up to date as possible.
"The floods that occurred earlier in the year have certainly played a part in that.
"Obviously after each event we all get together and have a look at the plans to make sure the arrangements that are contained in that plan, between the emergency services, are correct.
"If there's any slight variations or if we found things that worked better then they're also updated into the plan."
Mr Monk says various agencies have been providing input to the disaster plan which will be finalised next year.
© ABC 2012
More breaking news