Napthine won't confirm extra tornado assistanceSunday March 24, 2013 - 15:12 EDT
Victorian Premier Denis Napthine has refused to confirm if his Government will offer financial assistance to people whose homes were destroyed when tornadoes hit the state's north-east.
Dr Napthine today visited some of the worst-affected communities including Bundalong and Koonoomoo, where the ferocious weather damaged hundreds of homes and injured dozens of people on Thursday.
The State Government has announced one-off emergency hardship grants and the Federal Government has activated disaster relief payments.
But Dr Napthine refused to confirm whether the Victorian Government would offer extra assistance to those whose homes have been destroyed.
"We'll be having discussions with those people affected and with local council to see what further assistance is required," he said.
"This government cares about those people that have been affected by natural disasters, whether that be bushfires, whether that be floods, and our track record stands for itself."
He says he wants to talk to residents and volunteers on the ground.
"I give great credit to the volunteers ... [to] the SES, [to] the police, and other emergency services and community agencies who've done so much to help those through this incident," he said.
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
The Queensland Government will have the final say in assessing a major flood mitigation levee for Roma in the state's southern inland.
Residents in Tennant Creek say last weekend's rainfall was not recorded by the system that controversially replaced the local weather radar last year.
A deep low pressure system located over the Tasman Sea has whipped up wild winds and large waves in the past 24 hours, with maximum wave heights peaking at eight metres off the coast from Sydney.