Fairfax Media Network

Weather News

More protection urged for councils to rezone flood-prone land

By Kim Lyell, Wednesday February 13, 2013 - 11:43 EDT

Independent MP Peter Wellington says the Queensland Government needs to provide councils with greater protection to prevent inappropriate development on flood plains.

He says Queensland is the only state that still has laws allowing compensation for developers if changes to planning schemes affect development rights.

Mr Wellington has told State Parliament that many councils are afraid to rezone flood-prone land because of the threat of being sued.

"It's time the Government made the change and stopped bowing to the whim of the development industry in Queensland," he said.

"They've certainly had the ear of governments in the past.

"As far as I'm concerned from what I've seen to date they certainly seem to still have the ear of the Premier and the leadership team of this Government and I say on behalf of all Queenslanders it's time it changed.

"Let's see if this Government is fair dinkum in giving councils the real power they need so they aren't intimidated or afraid of back-zoning land because they know that if they back-zone land and they are taken to court they will have to pay compensation.

"If it's good enough for other states it's high time Queensland followed suit."


- ABC

© ABC 2013

More breaking news

Sydney Morning Herald
ABC News
National Nine News
News Limited

Display Your Local Weather

Weather News

Typhoon Lan churning through Japan

15:21 EDT

Typhoon Lan has weakened below Super Typhoon status but still has the ability to generate flooding rain and damaging wind and erode coasts across Japan during Sunday and Monday.

Storms strike southwest WA

11:43 EDT

A complex low pressure system has has brought widespread showers and thunderstorms to southwest WA overnight and into Sunday morning, storms producing more than 50,000 lightning strikes.

Police divers find two bodies in sunken Queensland fishing trawler recovery mission

00:01 EDT

Two bodies have been found in a recovery mission for a trawler that sank off the central Queensland coast earlier this week with seven men on board.