McVeigh gets first-hand look at drought-hit regionsBy Kate Stephens, Chrissy Arthur and Bernadette Young, Wednesday May 8, 2013 - 17:17 EST
Queensland Agriculture Minister John McVeigh has toured drought-affected areas in the state's west this week.
Mr McVeigh has visited several shires after one-third of Queensland was drought declared last month, including stops in Cloncurry, east of Mount Isa, and Cunnamulla in the Paroo Shire, west of Toowoomba
He says it is worrying to see how bad the situation is this early into the dry season.
"The best way to sum it up is to look at country that you'd expect to see in this condition in say October, before the wet season comes again - here we are in May - haven't really got into winter yet and we're seeing country that's in a poor and obviously dry condition," he said.
"It's got an impact for all of us over the coming months until the next wet season that everyone's very much looking forward to."
Paroo Mayor Lindsay Godfrey says it has been well over a year since there has been decent rain or a run in local rivers and water supplies are drying up.
He says it is vital there is a recognition in city areas of how serious the drought has become and how it is affecting country towns.
"Everything just stopped here virtually last February or March," he said.
"We are into this drought - but in the public eye, people in the capital cities - wouldn't be aware of just how dry it is out here - they are still thinking about floods.
"Trying to convince the wider population at large of just how things have changed in the bush is going to be a key issue for us."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Grantham flood inquiry: Three people missing after 2011 deluge in Queensland never found, commission hears
Three people who went missing during the deadly 2011 Grantham flood have never been found, an inquiry in Queensland has heard.
Emergency workers have launched another rescue operation for people stranded in heavy snow, this time for 10 people snowed in at Lake Dobson in Mount Field National Park, about 75 kilometres north-west of Hobart.
Drought concessional loan scheme to be re-opened within days, says Federal Government drought coordinator
A new "drought coordinator" working on the border of Victoria and South Australia, says the next round of drought concessional loans will be opened within days and funding boosts will be announced for a list of service providers.