Law firm to pursue damages over south-east Qld floodsWednesday November 27, 2013 - 17:18 EDT
A class action will go ahead over property damage from the 2011 floods in south-east Queensland.
Maurice Blackburn says it has secured funding and will file the case early next year.
The law firm alleges extensive modelling shows the flooding was unnecessary, due to the negligent operation of Wivenhoe and Somerset dams.
Premier Campbell Newman says those seeking compensation should check the fine print.
"Everybody's entitled to mount a legal action in this country, that's what democracy and the legal system is all about," he said.
"I just say to them that I hope that they have got a very clear deal with the legal firm or legal firms involved.
"I'd hate to see any sort of payout to them, if that ultimately happened, being gobbled up in legal fees."
It is understood about 5,000 people have already signed up to the class action.
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Trampolines have flown into powerlines and a lightning strike has reportedly caused a house fire as a severe thunderstorm tracked from Sydney all along the coast up to northern NSW on Monday afternoon.
Those who blamed last week's blackout in South Australia on renewable energy are dead wrong.
Thunderstorms are affecting six states and territories this afternoon, four of which are under warning for severe storms.