Authorities in Queensland's Lockyer Valley are breathing a sigh of relief after homes in Laidley were spared from rising floodwater.
Residents in low-lying areas were told to leave their homes after heavy falls caused Laidley Creek to rise.
Lockyer Valley Mayor Steve Jones says heavy rainfall and local flooding will hamper recovery efforts from last month's flood.
"Certainly there will be havoc with that particularly in some those areas like Mulgowie, Thornton, Junction View - a lot of repairs are still required to be made more permanent," he said.
"Access will be comprised now for some days and in some cases, possibly some weeks."
Kenilworth and Kin Kin remain cut off.
Disaster co-ordinator Alan Rogers says there is still a lot of water in creeks and rivers, and some roads are closed.
"Currently the heavy rain is easing but the bureau is telling us that over the next six to eight hours we can expect some heavy showers," he said.
"The rivers have peaked and are just starting to also go off their peaks."
Premier Campbell Newman says his thoughts are with locals.
"Just so sad this morning to hear that Laidley and the Lockyer Valley are having problems again," he said.
"My heart goes out to people who may have been flooded or who may well be flooded.
"It's just terrible and so soul destroying.
"I'm going to do anything I can to get down there and of course I'm going to do anything I can to help them."
The weather bureau says the wet conditions should ease in the Lockyer Valley today.
Disaster management coordinator David Mazzaferri says nine people spent the night in a local evacuation centre.
"We had some low-lying areas inundated but we were pretty fortunate that it didn't reach the heights of January," he said.
"Water over roads, isolated, but at this stage no inundation of houses.
"Plenty into yards but no dwellings."
© ABC 2013
07:33 EDT A Southerly Buster that traveled along the New South Wales coast on Sunday brought a sudden burst of winds and relief from the hot temperatures.