Queenslander Jason Day will take part in the World Cup of Golf in Melbourne this week after learning eight of his relatives were killed in the Philippines typhoon.
The 27-year-old's grandmother, uncle and six cousins were among the thousands of people who died when Typhoon Haiyan lashed the country.
"I am deeply saddened to confirm that multiple members of my family lost their lives as the victims of Typhoon Haiyan," Day said in a statement.
"My family and I are thankful for all who have reached out with their prayers and concern.
"We feel devastated for all who have been affected by this horrific tragedy."
He said he understood media interest in the matter but asked that his family's privacy be respected.
"I will have no further public comments at this time," he said.
"Please pray for all who have suffered loss."
Day's Filipina mother Dening, who migrated to Australia about 30 years ago, said it has been difficult being so far away.
"You can't do anything, you can't help, you can't even talk to them to find out what's going on," she said.
Her son is currently in Melbourne preparing for the World Cup tournament, which has attracted some of golf's biggest names.
Mrs Day says she is confident the three-times major runner-up can remain focused.
"He's a very strong boy, mentally he's very strong," she said.
"Hopefully he can focus on what he is doing."
Day will join US Masters champion and fellow Queenslander Adam Scott in representing Australia at the World Cup.
Immediately after defending his Australian Masters title yesterday, Scott declared he and Day would win the tournament, which begins at Royal Melbourne on Thursday.
© ABC 2013
07:33 EST Tasmanians are bracing for more wild weather as the state mops up from destructive storms and flash flooding in the past two days.