Insurance industry downplays talk of premiums spikeBy Eric Tlozek, Friday February 8, 2013 - 14:13 EDT
The Insurance Council of Australia says the industry will absorb the cost of the recent Queensland floods.
Many flood victims say they could not afford to reinsure after the 2011 floods and are worried premiums will rise after last month's flooding.
Campbell Fuller from the Insurance Council says the industry is unlikely to dramatically increase premiums this time.
"That was a confluence of events that led to more than $5.4 billion in insurance losses in just 12 months," he said.
"So that's an extraordinary thing for an industry to recover but in this instance, 2013, much of this has been anticipated and preparations are in place.
"Insurers had anticipated, with the help of the weather bureau of course, a season of higher than normal floods and also more cyclones crossing the coast.
"So they've made the appropriate commercial, prudential and logistical preparations for this summer."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Power is gradually being turned back on across parts of South Australia but much of the state remains in darkness after a widespread blackout.
South Australia and its 1.677 million residents were left without power on Wednesday evening following severe storms.
Federal Energy Minister Josh Frydenberg says serious questions will be raised about how the entirety of South Australia could be left without electricity in the wake of a huge storm, dubbed the largest in 50 years.