Government stoush freezes flood fundsBy Melinda Howells, Thursday April 18, 2013 - 18:19 EST
The State and Federal Governments are bickering over flood recovery funding.
Queensland Treasurer Tim Nicholls says the state cannot access $725 million that has been put aside to reimburse the cost of repair works.
Mr Nicholls says the conditions attached to the funding have changed.
"They changed the audit requirements, for example, to require pre-flood photos of roadworks that have been repaired and fixed up," he said.
"Now not every council had a photo of every culvert, flood or drain that needed repair works.
"It is quite simply a matter of putting process over people at the moment and that's what the Federal Government is doing."
A spokesman for Federal Treasurer Wayne Swan denies the Commonwealth is withholding funds.
He says the Queensland auditor-general needs to sign off on the repair work before the money can be released.
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Trampolines have flown into powerlines and a lightning strike has reportedly caused a house fire as a severe thunderstorm tracked from Sydney all along the coast up to northern NSW on Monday afternoon.
Those who blamed last week's blackout in South Australia on renewable energy are dead wrong.
Thunderstorms are affecting six states and territories this afternoon, four of which are under warning for severe storms.