Government pledges $500k for council flood safety upgradesBy Bridget Smith, Thursday September 27, 2012 - 13:08 EST
The Queensland Government will spend $500,000 helping nine regional councils meet vital flood safety upgrades recommended by the flood inquiry.
The money will go towards automatic flood warning stations, monitoring cameras and digital communications, aimed at preventing the loss of life seen in the 2011 floods.
Local Government Minister David Crisafulli admits the money is not enough but councils are also contributing.
He says councils will have the final say on where the money will be allocated.
"What you are getting for the first time is real information and real infrastructure that the local communities actually want," Mr Crisafulli said.
"In some of these parts of the state, you are talking about remote roads and remote river systems - this could deliver."
Councils to receive funding include Barcoo, Bundaberg, Burdekin, Carpentaria, Flinders, Hinchinbrook, Maranoa, Moreton Bay and North Burnett.
© ABC 2012
More breaking news
Prolonged heatwave conditions are helping elevate the bushfire threat in parts of New South Wales this week, after a slow start to the season.
A four-day heatwave that begins on Wednesday will bring the same kind of conditions that saw more than 200 Queenslanders treated for heat stroke and dehydration last week.
A Queensland MP is calling on the major banks to develop offsetting options for farm management deposits to help landholders save in the good times.