Further flood peak for CondamineBy Emma Pollard and Rhianwen Whitney, Monday February 4, 2013 - 09:59 EDT
The flood situation is easing across southern Queensland.
Floodwaters are receding west of Goondiwindi where Talwood is no longer isolated.
Authorities should be able to reach Toobeah today and Bungunya tomorrow.
The weather bureau says there will be another flood peak at Condamine, on the Western Downs early this week, but it will not threaten homes.
Hydrologist Jess Carey says the southern border towns are next in line.
"Eventually this water will move through the system down to St George, Dirranbandi and the township of Hebel on the Queensland/New South Wales border but that's sort of a good week and a bit away," he said.
"With these floods and the lack of rain I suppose out in the Maranoa so far this year I'd be expecting quite a large percentage of flood routing to occur between sort of Condamine town and St George."
"I'd say the flood in St George certainly won't be as high as what we've seen in previous years."
Western Downs Mayor Ray Brown says the Condamine River at Condamine is at 10.3 metres, but is expected to rise.
"It's still point-three over the bridge at Condamine but it will remain closed as the new water that will come through will keep it up until at least Wednesday-Thursday," he said.
Councillor Brown says they are expecting the Condamine River to peak at about 11.7 metres by tomorrow.
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
One year anniversary of destructive Brisbane hail storm; residents reminded to prepare for storm season
It is a year today since Brisbane was smashed by the worst hail storm in 30 years, one that left a trail of destruction and a damage bill of more than $1.3 billion.
Drought affected farmers and businesses in the Walgett Shire are getting a reprieve, with the Council agreeing to waive the interest on overdue rates.
Australia lived up to it's reputation yesterday, with a vast contrast in conditions across the states.