Funds flow from Red Cross flood appealBy Francis Tapim, Friday February 8, 2013 - 14:10 EDT
Financial help is now available from the Queensland Government's Red Cross flood appeal.
Flood appeal chairman Terry Mackenroth says the assistance is only available at this stage for people whose homes were so badly damaged they cannot be lived in.
He says the sooner people get their applications in the sooner they will get paid.
"You get $2,000 for an adult and a $1,000 for a dependant child," he said.
"What we want is for people to apply and we will process those forms so we can get the money out very quickly."
Application forms are available at local recovery centres or they can be downloaded from the Queensland Floods Appeal website or by calling 1800 901 933.
Applicants have until March 18 to make a claim.
So far about $7.5 million has been donated.
Mr Mackenroth says the appeal needs $15 million just to cover emergency payouts.
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Prolonged heatwave conditions are helping elevate the bushfire threat in parts of New South Wales this week, after a slow start to the season.
A four-day heatwave that begins on Wednesday will bring the same kind of conditions that saw more than 200 Queenslanders treated for heat stroke and dehydration last week.
A Queensland MP is calling on the major banks to develop offsetting options for farm management deposits to help landholders save in the good times.