Funding expected for new North Burnett levee bankBy Frances Adcock, Tuesday June 17, 2014 - 10:09 EST
Queensland Recovery and Resilience Minister David Crisafulli says new levees and early warning systems will help reduce insurance premiums in disaster-prone areas.
Almost $52 million in state funding will be available for councils over the next year as part of the Disaster Mitigation and Resilience funding program.
Mr Crisafulli is expected to today announce funding for a new levee bank in the North Burnett, which was badly affected by the 2013 floods.
"We will be in Mundubbera [this afternoon] and in my mind one of the defining images ... of the 2013 event is of this community and how much they had suffered in several times in the last few years and we are going to back it and I think it makes a lot of sense for the community," he said.
Mr Crisafulli says Queensland will never be flood-proofed but he hopes the mitigation projects will help reduce insurance premiums in disaster-prone areas.
He concedes not everyone in the community will be happy with the projects.
"Last year we got through a half of that amount and with the small amount of money we delivered projects like levees for Roma and St George," he said.
"Particularly in the case of St George there was protesters on the day I announced that funding and on the days we even opened it there was still protesters and that is the reality when you build these things, there might be people who fall on the wrong side and might be disadvantaged a bit."
© ABC 2014
More breaking news
Severe thunderstorms that ravaged the Hunter region and the Central Coast of New South Wales are over, the Bureau of Meteorology says, but Ausgrid and SES volunteers are still working to repair the damage.
More than 12,000 insurance claims have already been lodged with damages at an estimated $31 million following the .
Southern parts of the Gulf of Carpentaria have been lashed with heavy rain and gusty winds as a tropical low makes its presence felt.