Fraser Coast council adopts new disaster management planBy Alyse Edwards, Thursday October 17, 2013 - 12:12 EDT
The Fraser Coast Regional Council has adopted a new disaster management plan for the region.
Mayor Gerard O'Connell says the plan has been reviewed and rewritten based on information from January's floods.
He says the region is better prepared for the upcoming wet season.
Councillor says O'Connell new flood mapping will help residents evacuate earlier in future floods.
He says council unanimously voted to adopt the new disaster management plan and residents will be able to track predicted flood heights online.
"People will be able to track via half millimetre increments what the floods may be according to the heights and we've mapped right up to a 14-metre flood which has never happened," he said.
"So flood maps give us information so that we can more accurately predict what properties will be inundated and therefore what properties we ask people to make evacuation plans [for]."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
It was a surreal night for many Adelaide residents who had to find alternative ways to entertain themselves by candlelight, after wild weather caused a state-wide blackout.
About 70,000 people in South Australia are still without power after wild weather plunged the state into darkness, although the lights are back on in Adelaide's metropolitan area.
Linking the statewide blackout in South Australia with the state's heavy reliance on renewable energy is unfounded, energy industry experts say.