Flooding prompts Bundaberg building changeBy Alyse Edwards, Thursday March 7, 2013 - 12:20 EDT
The Bundaberg Regional Council has finalised a new building policy for areas in the southern Queensland city inundated during the Australia Day weekend floods.
Mayor Mal Forman says the Burnett River reached a flood height of 9.53 metres but the new building levels will vary for individual properties.
Deputy Mayor David Batt says new developments in Bundaberg will need to have floorboards raised 300 millimetres above the January flood levels.
He says the State Government needs to approve the plans.
"It's an instrument that will be in place for only up to 12 months as a maximum and any property that had water around it, through their properties through this last flood in 2013," he said.
"There's approximately 4,000 properties that are affected by it.
"The majority of those won't mean anything new to them, it'd only be if you wanted to build a new house or rebuild a house that has been severely damaged."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Some are calling it the best day of the snow season so far, with 15-20cm+ falling over the Australian Alps overnight.
It was a teeth-chattering start to July for Australia's westernmost capital city.
A plaque thought to have been washed away from a house in Latrobe in the devastating floods has been found 100 kilometres' drive away three weeks after it was lost.