Flood work continues two years after disasterWednesday January 9, 2013 - 11:01 EDT
A city on Queensland's Darling Downs is still considering how to warn people about impending natural disasters two years after a fatal flood.
This week marks the second anniversary of floods which swept through Toowoomba killing two people.
Homes and businesses were also inundated in nearby Oakey.
Eighteen other people died in the Lockyer Valley.
Toowoomba Mayor Paul Antonio says planning is underway to build more flood retention basins.
He says there are a number of ways residents would be warned if another natural disaster was likely.
"Our main media outlet would certainly be by radios and television and every possible media outlet," Councillor Antonio said.
"I'm not exactly sure about the SMS at this point of time [but] I don't think it will be difficult to achieve.
"If we saw the need to achieve that at the next meeting of our counter disaster group I'm sure we can achieve it very quickly."
Roads and bridges are still being repaired two years after the region's floods.
The disaster left a $150 million road repair bill and Councillor Antonio says half the work has been completed.
"We'll hopefully be finished around June or a bit later maybe - it's a tremendous amount of work being done," he said.
"It requires great coordination by the council staff and others and it's a really good sign of how Federal Government money can hit the ground and really make a difference."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Trampolines have flown into powerlines and a lightning strike has reportedly caused a house fire as a severe thunderstorm tracks from Sydney all along the coast up to northern NSW.
Those who blamed last week's blackout in South Australia on renewable energy are dead wrong.
Thunderstorms are affecting six states and territories this afternoon, four of which are under warning for severe storms.