Fairfax Media Network

Weather News

Flood studies to help shape Pioneer, Gooseponds development

By Brock Taylor, Thursday December 13, 2012 - 11:52 EDT

The Mackay Regional Council says three new flood study reports will help protect houses in the Pioneer and Gooseponds catchment areas.

The three reports also considered the impact of storm tide events, historical river flood events and the effect of climate change over the next 90 years.

Councillor David Perkins says the studies will shape future development approvals in the flood-prone areas.

"As we know we live on a flood plain and just the Pioneer River catchment alone is 1,500 square kilometres and so this will now start to be worked on because in the future it's going to have to help out with development applications and all of those sorts of things," he said.

"So this is just the first step in accepting things as they are, it still has to go through all the peer review processes yet."

Cr Perkins says despite the new reports, he does not expect standard development heights to change again anytime soon.

"Last week we effectively approved to go back to the 2006 levels and that's where we're at now and will stay that way for a while," he said.

"So still a lot of work to be done on these flood studies, even though they've been completed we then need to go to the next process as far as development is concerned."


- ABC

© ABC 2012

More breaking news

Sydney Morning Herald
ABC News
National Nine News
News Limited

Display Your Local Weather

Weather News

SA weather: Power 'gradually' returning after blackout plunged state into darkness

00:07 EST

Power is gradually being turned back on across parts of South Australia but much of the state remains in darkness after a widespread blackout.

SA power outage: how did it happen?

00:02 EST

South Australia and its 1.677 million residents were left without power on Wednesday evening following severe storms.

SA weather: State-wide power loss raises 'serious questions', Josh Frydenberg says

23:58 EST

Federal Energy Minister Josh Frydenberg says serious questions will be raised about how the entirety of South Australia could be left without electricity in the wake of a huge storm, dubbed the largest in 50 years.