Flood-hit mangroves removed from Burnett RiverBy Frances Adcock, Thursday March 28, 2013 - 09:58 EDT
The Bundaberg Regional Council has started removing hundreds of damaged mangrove trees from along the Burnett River in southern Queensland.
It received approval from the Department of Fisheries this week, two months after floods destroyed many trees.
Councillor Danny Rowleson says it will give officers a better chance to assess the damage.
"We are looking to remove the dead ones to remove the eyesore and navigational issues that are associated with their presence," he said.
"Also to make accessibly to riverbanks [better] so council can do assessments on riverbanks for stability issues."
Cr Rowleson says removing the dead mangrove trees will not cause more erosion.
"We don't take out mangroves that are viable or are protecting a particular part of the bank," he said.
"If the mangrove is deceased, the likelihood is it has no viability, so therefore it will progressively rot and it will only ends up as a hazard."
© ABC 2013
More breaking news
Residents in Tennant Creek say last weekend's rainfall was not recorded by the system that controversially replaced the local weather radar last year.
A deep low pressure system located over the Tasman Sea has whipped up wild winds and large waves in the past 24 hours, with maximum wave heights peaking at eight metres off the coast from Sydney.
New South Wales residents woke up to a chilly start to the working week.